Here are some tips for some “heart healthy” snacks that are sure to land a ‘touch down’ among die hard fans on Super Bowl Sunday ;)
8 Heart Healthy Snack Swaps
#1 – Chicken Wings
- Bake wings instead of frying.
- Pull the skin off of the wings before baking to remove most of the fat.
#2 – Nachos
- Use ground turkey (at least 93% lean) or lean ground beef (at least 93% lean).
- Use baked tortilla chips instead of regular fried ones.
- Use sharp cheddar cheese instead of regular cheddar (the flavor is “bigger” with the sharp cheese and less is used)!
#3 – Meatballs
- Use turkey meatballs.
- Alternatively, you can make these from one of the ground meats listed above.
#4 – Subs
- Use whole wheat sub rolls.
- Choose turkey, ham, lean roast beef, and reduced fat cheese.
- Put extra veggies on the sandwiches!
#5 – Hot Dogs
- Get turkey hot dogs or avoid these all together;)
#6 – Hamburgers
- Make these from one of the ground meats listed under nachos.
#7 – Veggie Tray
Put out an assortment of veggies with the following heart-healthy ranch dip.
#8 – Sweet Snacks
- Put out an assortment of fruits, angel food cake, vanilla wafers, marshmallows, etc. with the fat free chocolate dip.
- Low fat kettle corn is great as well!
Learn More About Heart Health
February is American Heart Month, and all month long, we’re sharing fun heart healthy events and tips to help you live life young at heart! Get heart healthy resources here, and let us help you find a heart & vascular physician.
About Shaynee Roper, M.Ed, RD, LDN, FAND
*Clinical Nutrition Manager at WakeMed Raleigh
Shaynee has worked as a dietitian for 28 years and has been at WakeMed for almost three years. Shaynee teaches a weekly class to those patients who have had cardiac surgery. In her spare time, Shaynee loves to cook, read, and travel.