Rich in vitamins and phytochemicals such as lycopene, tomatoes are nutrient-dense and offer numerous health benefits. Check out the following recipes – there’s definitely more than one way to slice a tomato!
Prep Time: 12 m | Total Time: 12 m
- 1 ripe peach, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1 medium yellow or orange tomato, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion such as Vidalia
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced, seeded jalapeño, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl.
- Season to taste with additional lime juice, jalapeño or salt, if desired.
- Serve salsa with tortilla chips, or spoon onto grilled chicken or fish.
Roma Tomato Salad with Feta & Garlic
Prep Time: 5 m | Total Time: 15 m
- 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (or sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces tomato-basil feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and feta cheese.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before serving.
[via Martha Stewart]
Tomato Soup Cupcakes (with Mocha Buttercream)
Prep Time: 15 m | Total Time: 40 m
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 can (10 ½ oz) Tomato Soup
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 6-8 tsp Milk
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- ¾ cup Hershey’s Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Espresso Powder
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together egg, oil and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in tomato soup, followed by flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and cloves and ground nutmeg.
- Beat until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners in cupcake tin with 4 level Tablespoons of batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- In stand mixer, beat butter until smooth.
- Add in vanilla, milk.
- Slowly power in powdered sugar, cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- If consistency is too thick to pipe or spread over cupcakes, add additional milk.
- Frost cupcakes and devour.
*Because of milk, be sure to refrigerate excess frosting*
[via Country Cleaver]
Share Your Favorite Recipe!
Have a healthy recipe you’d like to share? Let us know. Send an email to us: email@example.com.