Southern and Western Wake County have seen incredible growth over the past decade. To keep pace with this growth and ensure residents from Cary and surrounding towns and communities have access to high-quality, state-of-the-art healthcare close to home, WakeMed Cary Hospital has grown right alongside. Recently, we’ve celebrated the opening of Cary Hospital’s newly expanded patient care areas, the addition of a new facility and services at the Medical Park of Cary, and the opening of the area’s newest medical office building, HealthPark at Kildaire .
To collectively define this area and services available, these three buildings are referred to as the Cary Hospital Medical District.
“This is an exciting time for Cary Hospital and for the community we serve. The scope and breadth of services available here have grown tremendously over the past few years, and this expansion allows us to better serve patients and support our staff,” commented Tom Hughes, senior vice president & administrator, WakeMed Cary Hospital.
Cary Hospital Expansion
Over the past decade, Cary Hospital has shifted from its roots as a small community hospital to a large full-service hospital and trauma center offering a higher level of care including advanced services in complex specialty areas such as heart and vascular, gastroenterology, emergency & trauma. The facility has also added new and growing subspecialty services in areas such as urogynecology, breast health, thoracic surgery including lung cancer procedures, specialty physical and occupational therapy for breast cancer and incontinence patients, and more.
This spring, Cary Hospital topped off its growth with the addition of two new floors, called 4 West and 5 West, that allows the facility to care for more patients with additional space to grow with our communities. Because the expansion provides additional patient care units and space, it should help reduce emergency department wait times and support an enhanced patient experience throughout Cary Hospital.
The 5 West floor is now open and features a spacious, state-of-the art 40-bed unit dedicated for surgery patients including those who’ve undergone orthopaedic joint replacement, bariatric surgery, or other highly-specialized surgical procedures. Featuring on-site space for rehabilitation, surgery patients can conveniently have the therapy they need to aid in recovery. 5 West was designed to provide an optimal healing environment with generous spaces for the patient and care team with abundant natural light and furnishings that appear to be more like a hotel room than a hospital room. The 40 private rooms also feature:
- A designated family/visitor area with a sleeper sofa, additional TV and workspace
- Walk-in showers with tile surrounds, benches and adjustable shower heads
- Overhead ceiling lifts above the patient bed to protect patients and staff when getting the patient up and out of bed
“The design for 5 West was a collaborative effort involving many frontline staff, management, physicians and Cary Hospital Administration with input from Construction & Design and third-party experts,” commented Tom Cavender, vice president, WakeMed Facilities & Construction. “Our thoughtful design process took much longer than it did to actually build the expansion.”
Topping off the vertical expansion of Cary Hospital is a rooftop helipad that offers direct elevator access to the Emergency Department and Level III Trauma Center services, Imaging Services, Surgical Services and outbound patient transport. Planning for 4 West is underway with interior construction for additional clinical areas planned for in 2022.
HealthPark at Kildaire
The Healthpark at Kildaire medical office building opened in May with four stories of outpatient physician offices and specialty healthcare services. Located at 110 Kildaire Park Drive in Cary, the building features ample parking and convenient services across a range of specialties, including:
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab
- Healthworks Fitness & Wellness center
- Nutrition Services
- Outpatient Laboratory Services
- Outpatient Rehabilitation (physical, occupational and speech therapy)
- Primary Care – Kildaire Farm
- Pulmonary Function Testing Lab
- Pulmonology & Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Center for adults and children (opening Summer 2021)
- Urgent Care
- Wake Orthopaedics, Urgent Care and Physical Therapy
Medical Park of Cary
In fall 2020, the new Medical Park of Cary opened next to the Cary Hospital campus at 210 Ashville Avenue. The new, five-story building features 125,000 square feet of space and nearly a dozen WakeMed medical specialty offices, as well as outpatient imaging and laboratory services, a convenient on-site pharmacy and coffee shop. Specialties include:
- 210 PET Imaging, the latest and most technologically advanced PET/CT scanner of its kind in the Triangle
- Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss
- Heart & Vascular – Cardiology, Thoracic Surgery & Vascular Surgery
- Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Outpatient Imaging with X-ray, ultrasound and mammography services.
- Outpatient Laboratory Services
- Outpatient Pharmacy
- Physical Therapy – Pelvic Health
- Surgery office including subspecialty surgical services for breast, colorectal, general, hernia and trauma
- The Daily Dose Coffee Shop & More
Future expansion plans include the construction of a wound care center on the fourth floor and a state-of-the-art outpatient surgery center located on the fifth floor.