In the spirit of the upcoming Irish holiday, a traditional Irish meal with a touch of green seemed fitting! The only problem is that traditional Irish meals tend to fall into the potatoes and beer category in most minds.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings)
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1 14.5 oz Can Chicken Broth
- ½ Tbls. Olive Oil
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ Cup Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup Peas
- 1 Tsp. Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Break down cauliflower into florets. Steam over a pot of water until tender.
- Drain pot and add in soft cauliflower. You could also purchase as florets or in a steam-able bag for the same result.
- Add ½ cup chicken broth,½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Mash with potato masher or immersion blender until the cauliflower resembles mashed potatoes.
- Set aside while you make filling.
- Drizzle oil in large sauté pan on medium heat.
- When heated, add your chopped onion and carrots. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Cook for roughly 4 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add your lean ground beef and break up chunks. Sprinkle with salt and cook until browned.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, ½ chicken broth, peas and thyme.
- Simmer and stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Gradually add in remaining chicken broth and cook until absorbed, but not dry.
- Once mixture is thickened, taste and season as desired.
- Transfer filling to oven safe casserole dish. Generously top with cauliflower mixture.
- Bake for roughly 30 minutes, or until the edges of cauliflower are golden and crispy.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes, then serve.
Expect warm, hearty, flavorful, filling, satisfying, and nostalgic. It is perfect for the last bit of winter’s cold snap, but is also light enough to whip up any time of year without the carbs weighing you down.
Serving Size Information
Each serving (This recipe makes 6, so adjust if necessary):
207 Cal • 6.7 g Fat • 5.2 g Fiber • 16.8 g Carbs • 20.7 g Protein • 7.4 g Sugar
Bariatric Surgery at WakeMed
Learn more about the bariatric and weight loss surgery services offered at WakeMed.