A fun and simple way to gain bites of nutrition knowledge on a daily basis is through the free app, eaTipster. Created by the Dietitians of Canada, eaTipster serves up daily tips about food and nutrition straight to your mobile device. Additionally, eaTipster provides links to research and fabulous recipes to help keep you on the right track.
It’s always fabulous to come home to a dinner that is almost prepared, so dust off that slow cooker and try your hand at this simple dish that will delight the taste buds.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
makes ~4-6 servings
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (can be found in the spice aisle)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ of a medium-sized cucumber, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup white or brown rice, prepared according to package directions
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, salt, and pepper in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Place chicken in a single layer on top of the mixture. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it and shred. Return chicken to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the light coconut milk and stir until well combined.
- Mix the cucumber and plain Greek yogurt together.
- Spoon some rice onto each plate, top with tikka masala, and garnish with cucumber mixture. Serve at once.
About WakeMed Corporate & Community Health
The Corporate and Community Health division of WakeMed provides worksite wellness and health promotion services to numerous corporate and community clients throughout Wake County. The department is made up of a multi-disciplinary team who perform preventative health screenings, education and coaching upon request. The department assists thousands of people each year on their wellness journey.